*This post is sponsored by Walmart Fashion but as always, all opinions are my own. Thank you supporting the brands that support Sincerely Onyi*
Whether you’re sending your kids back in style or having them prepped and ready for a virtual classroom, you can get all of your school needs from Walmart. With today’s unprecedented times, we’re faced with the tough decision to homeschool or virtual schooling. We’ve decided to stock up on homeschool necessities from Walmart.com and share some of the preschool milestones we’re including in our curriculum.
Difference Between Home School and Virtual School
We are becoming a homeschool family and believe that homeschooling takes on a better fit for our family dynamic vs virtual schooling. The major difference between the two is with homeschooling, the parents act as full-time instructors while in online schooling — also known as virtual school — online teachers manage the student’s studies from afar within a structured curriculum.
Back To School Fashion
Shop This Post
What should your child know by the end of Pre K?
It can be tricky to know what your child should know before starting kindergarten— especially if you are not sending them to a physical preschool. If you child is getting ready to start Kindergarten, here are some things they should be learning— and possibly some things to work on the rest of the summer!
Ready for Reading:
- Remember pictures from a printed page
- Can repeat an 8-word sentence
- Prints first name
- Can write some alphabet letters
- Understand that reading is left to right
- Knows day/night
- Knows own age and birthday
- Draw and color beyond scribbling
- Control pencil and crayon well
- Run, walk, jump, alternate feet walking downstairs
- Button/zip clothes
- Build with blocks
- Cut and draw shapes
Shop This Post
Size, Position, Direction:
- Big and little
- Long and short
- Up and down
- Front and back
- Over and under
- Hot and cold
- Fast and slow
- Top and Bottom
What should your child learn by the end of Kindergarten?
The important thing to remember when your child starts Kindergarten is that every child will be at a different level. Their ages will vary and each have different skill sets. Kindergarten is meant to help children learn both academic and social skills. Thankfully, classrooms are set up to help every child learn, no matter what level they are at.
Shop The Post
- Both write and recognize upper and lowercase letters
- Match letters to sounds
- Recognizes and can make rhyming words
- Name the person, place, thing, or idea in a picture
- Follow words from left to right, top to bottom
- Learn new words to express thoughts, feelings, or ideas
- Recognize some words without having to sound them out: sight words, such as I, you, is, are
- Answer questions about a story
- Add and subtract numbers 1-10
- Recognize numbers up to 100
- Can count from numbers 1-20
- Uses drawings and objects to represent addition and subtraction
- Creates patterns
- Knows the components of a calendar (days, weeks, today, tomorrow, yesterday)
- Learns about holidays
- Works well in groups, sharing, and taking turns
- Can recognize family roles (siblings, parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc.)
Shop This Post
Don’t forget Walmart has your back when it comes to Back To School Fashion. All the styles that kids love with prices we can afford.Click here to grab your School essentials!
Thank you so much Onyi. This was so helpful, in helping me navigate how to go about home schooling my 5 year old in the fall. Yes walmart has great back to school choices for the kids.
Onyi. this is a great post. Parents are teachers by default but COVID-19 has clearly highlighted this undeniable role. The background of developmental expectations are always nice to review. Thank you for putting it on everyone’s radar.